My client is a fantastic organisation who provides sophisticated and engaging online services and applications to education institutions across the UK and internationally.
They are now looking for a unique individual who is interested in acting across two disciplines; fusing both Systems Administration and Software Development. Ideally you will have a passion for making systems reliable and processes efficient; managing both hardware and creating software to facilitate a high performance, high-speed development team.
Whilst professional experience in both disciplines would be perfect, ideally you can demonstrate proficiency via other means (e.g. home projects, open source contributions)
* Assist with the administration and maintenance of local and remote servers.
* Develop, extend and maintain software sub-systems which facilitate our engineering processes.
* Occasional out of hours maintenance work.
* Alternate "on-call" periods for emergency out of hours response and recovery of servers and services.
* Provision of 3rd line advanced support.
* Travel rarely required (Datacentre near Reading).
* A basic working knowledge and experience of Linux Server Administration.
* Intermediate level knowledge and experience of Linux Server Administration.
Familiarity with some of;
* MySQL Server.
* Email Servers (Postfix+Dovecot or similar).
* Apache Webserver (including mod_rewrite and virtual hosts).
* Haproxy Loadbalancer (or similar).
Any knowledge/familiarity with;
* Windows Server/Samba (Active Directory).
* Bind DNS Server (or similar).
* Percona Backup/Tools.
* Git Version Control.
* Cisco Switches/Routers.
* Firewalls (preferably IPTables
* Any other development/scripting knowledge (Vue.js,Bash,Perl C/C++,Php, Python).
* Software Development, preferably professional but Open Source / personal projects considered.
* Linux Systems administration, preferably in an ISP type environment.
* Degree qualifications desirable, but not mandatory.
* Language: Fluent, fast English required