1. JOB PURPOSE – General
1.1 The CM’s role is to manage the Community Team to support them to implement high quality programmes, projects and interventions which are coherent with the social, economic and physical regeneration aims of the organisation and which are in the best interest of KDT to maximise the effectiveness of the organisation and generate greater impact for the community we support. You will also work with our community development officers and CEO to design and develop a wide range of community development initiatives and projects that meet the Trust’s objectives and identified local needs.
2.0 JOB PURPOSE – Specific
2.1 To implement the relevant parts of the Keystone Community Development Strategic Plan.
2.2 To oversee all projects being delivered by Community staff. Currently this includes current youth projects, Art Cafe, Men’s Shed, BBO project, Abbey Community Café, the Abbey Neighbourhood Centre, Riversdale Centre, St John’s Community Centre. Projects will change and evolve based on funding.
2.3 To line manage community staff and provide support, supervision & identify training where appropriate.
2.4 To ensure that the Trust has close working relationships with individuals, groups and communities across the area – in particular, socially excluded/ deprived individuals, communities and groups.
2.5 To engage with external organisations in a positive manner, particularly those whose work compliments that of KDT.
2.6 To contribute to the management and programming of Trust community facilities.
2.7 To work with the volunteer co-ordinator to oversee the team of volunteers who support the community work of KDT.
2.8 To work with the Senior Management Team (SMT) on identifying sources of funding and strategies to secure the longer term future of the Community Development Team.
2.9 To work with the SMT to write and submit funding bids based on the emerging needs of the community.
2. 10 To ensure that all community projects comply with internal financial and progress reporting requirements.
2.11 To oversee a proactive and effective social media communication strategy – including Facebook, Twitter, websites across projects.
3.0 NATURE AND SCOPE
3.1 To assist with drafting, implementing, and monitoring the Keystone Community Development Strategic Plan.
3.2 To engage in a style of work which:
a) Encourages residents to address issues, which affect their lives;
b) Recognises the skills and expertise of local people to further their own objectives;
c) Confronts discriminatory practices and behaviour in accordance with the Trust’s Equal Opportunities Policies for employment and the delivery of the Service.
3.3 To ensure community profiles and needs audits are up to date and maintain a community information data base.
3.4 To develop new projects/services in partnership with Trust Managers and external organisations.
3.5 Select new people for the Community Development Team by planning future personnel requirements, selecting quality staff against specifications and assessing candidates against team and organisational objectives.
3.6 Plan the work of the team and determine work methods to achieve objectives set by the Trust Management Team. Monitor performance standards for the team and individuals and provide feedback.
3.7 To contribute to the development of social enterprises and Trust Businesses.
3.8 To contribute to the development Trust policy, procedures and plans.
3.9 To ensure the management and financial control of Community projects & programmes.
3.10 To act as budget manager on specified internal Trust budgets relating to community work.
3.11 Responsible for reporting on the implementation and management of external projects, and ensuring reporting mechanisms are in place to report direct to the relevant agencies.
3.12 To supervise, support and promote training opportunities for staff.
3.13 To support communities and groups in making use of provision.
3.14 To liaise closely and develop partnership projects / work programmes with other staff.
3.15 Identify opportunities for improvement to services and systems.
3.16 To monitor and evaluate work as required.
3.17 To prepare and present reports as required.
- To attend Trust Management Team & Trust Board as required.
- To be aware of, and act in accordance with, Trust policies on equal opportunities on all aspects of the job.
- GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
4.1 Comply with the Trust’s Equal Opportunities Policies for Employment and Delivery of the Service and co-operate in measures introduced to implement and monitor these Policies.
4.2 Comply with the Trust’s Health & Safety Policy and all relevant Legislation.
4.3 To carry out any other duties as the CEO shall properly require from time to time.Person specification/ Skills and experience: Essential criteria:
- Qualification in Community Development or at least 2 years’ experience within a community setting
- Experience of programme design, development / workshop / course design and coordination
- Track record in establishing and developing strategic partnerships with external organisations including statutory and charity/voluntary sectors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience of team management
- Experience of successfully leading and managing teams encouraging a culture of continuous improvement and individual and team development.
- Track record in successful project / enterprise development and management and bid writing and budget management experience.
- Driving licence and access to a vehicle.
- Relevant and current first aid qualification
- Knowledge of community development / regeneration
- Experience of business and financial planning
- Experience of devising and delivering programmes for a range of audiences.
- Knowledge of the social enterprise sector and business development.
- Experience of working with local authorities and public sector contracting.
- Commitment to asset based community development - desire to make a positive difference to disadvantaged communities
- Proactive and solution focused team member.
- Flexible, and willing to work in the fast-paced and constantly changing environment of a community organisation
- Conscientious and responsible.
- Support and enthuse others and maintain a professional image.